Monday, August 16, 2010

Quality Experts?

What makes an expert a quality expert? Roger Pielke Jr. thinks we should apply David Schofield's criteria for economists to all experts:
I do not want to hear economists use their professional position to embellish pre-existing ideological, and often alarmist, narratives. I do want quantitative and political economists to deploy their unique tool sets to tell me about the fearsome trade-offs we have to address if we are to continue civilisation’s long march of human progress. I want to hear the language of innovation, uncertainty, optionality and risk, not wearisome political rhetoric and claims of spurious certainty.
Note that risk and uncertainty are not synonymous - this is not news to social scientists, but it is to many ecologists and natural resource managers. I wonder what a political ecologist looks like?

No comments:

Post a Comment