- I will remember that I didn't make the world and that it doesn't satisfy my equations.
- Though I will use models boldly to estimate
valueextinction risk, I will not be overly impressed by mathematics.
- I will never sacrifice reality for elegance without explaining why I have done so.
- Nor will I give the people who use my model false comfort about its accuracy. Instead, I will make explicit its assumptions and oversights.
- I understand that my work may have
enormoustrivial effects on society and the economy, many of them beyond my comprehension, but I will continue to try to be relevantbut I will continue to advance my science anyway.
This is adapted from Emmanuel Derman and Paul Wilmott’s oath for economic modelers. See if you can spot my modifications. I tried to be subtle.