Thursday, February 12, 2009

Out of the blocks!

What better way to spend a sick day than kicking off a new Web 2.0 adventure. I've been enjoying exploring FaceBook and thinking about how to integrate that technology into my teaching. What I'd like to do here is explore how a Blog can be used to communicate science - or more accurately - using science in management and policy. For the past year or so I've been heavily involved in helping federal agencies and NGO's develop "Adaptive Management" for restoration activities on the Platte and Missouri Rivers. There is a huge history of material on the idea of Adaptive Management (AM), starting with Buzz Holling's original work in the 1970's. The group of scientists at UBC that included Holling, Carl Walters, and others started putting those ideas into practice throughout the next two decades. That fine start lead to many converts to the idea of using management activity to improve understanding.

My goal here is to start blogging about papers, books, tv programs, and whatever else strikes me as related to AM and the practice of AM. I'd like this to be like a running review. Hey, its an experiment. Maybe it won't be useful, but at least it will give me something to do, and a place to put thoughts when they occur to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment