Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Remembering Scott Field

Last week I heard the tragic news that a dear friend, Scott Field, had died in a hiking accident in Italy. Since then the tributes to Scott have been pouring across the interwebs, especially on Facebook. I wanted to take a bit of time to look through what images and memories I had of this great guy.
I have none. Really. I guess I don't really take pictures of people. I did come across this picture which comes from circa 2004? 2005? I was on the back side of an extended visit to Oz and spent a few days hanging out with Scott at Waterfall Gully in Adelaide. I believe Brendan Wintle stopped by, and some science happened. Beer was involved, and lots of walks in the Adelaide Hills. I think the intent was to combine our 2004 paper on minimizing cost of managing a declining species with our 2005 paper on detectability issues in monitoring. It never happened; I was getting wrapped up in teaching etc. in Nebraska, and Scott was, as ever, moving onwards towards the bright horizons. Our collaboration was awesome for me. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment